5 Quick Crochet Tips for BeginnersBy Rachel Choi – 26 Comments
- Pick the right color to work with. When you first start crocheting certain colors of yarn make it easier to see the stitches and others make it dreadfully hard. Try to avoid using very dark colored yarns such as black and very light light colored yarns such as white.
- Pick the right type of yarn. You don’t need fancy yarn when you first learn to crochet. In fact the facy yarns such as eyelash yarn and boucle will make it harder for you to learn and see your stitches. Stick to ordinary, simple and cheap yarn.
- Use a big hook. Bigger hooks make it easier to see stitches. As you may notice by now, being able to see the stitches is a big part of learning to crochet.
- Have fun. So what if this sounds cheesy. Don’t crochet if you’re not having fun doing it! Studies show that crocheting is actually good for your health, but if it’s stressing you out, it’s probably a good idea to take a break.
- Ask Rachel (me) for help. Don’t be ashamed to ask for help if you need it. I won’t bite. There’s nothing more dreadful than being frustrated over something hard to understand (I’ve been there). You can also find more help in the Crochet Tutorials section.
Do you have a crochet tip for beginners to share?