Crochet Pattern: Beginner’s Wrist Warmers with Ridges

By Rachel Choi – 105 Comments
For the colder days, here is a pair of wrist warms (fingerless gloves) to crochet. They are designed to fit snug and keep your wrist and arms extremely warm while leaving your fingers free to move around. As a beginner level pattern, you will be crocheting a rectangle that will fold around your arm. The piece will then be sewn shut, leaving a small hole for your thumb. These wrist warmers are fast and easy to crochet! crochet beginner wrist warmers
Skill Level: beginner crochet skill level

Finished Size: 3″ (7.5 cm) wide, 9 1/2″ (24 cm) long – size small
Note:Wrist warmer can also be adjusted using the instructions within the pattern. Wrist warmer should stretch to fit snugly.

Materials:
Medium Weight Yarn (approximately 200 yards)
Crochet Hook I (5.50 mm)
Yarn Needle
crochet yarn size 4

Crochet Pattern: Wrist Warmers (makes one wrist warmer)
Row 1: ch 41 (or a chain that is the length of your desired wrist warmer from lower arm to palm of hand), sc in second ch from hook and in each ch across: 40 sc
Row 2: ch 1, turn, sc in back loop only of each sc across: 40 sc

Repeat row 2, twenty-eight times or until the wrist warmer wraps snugly around your palm, wrist and lower arm. Remember that the wrist warmer should stretch.

Use yarn needle to sew sides of wrist warmer together leaving a 2” (5 cm) hole 1” (2.5 cm) from the end.

If you need help crocheting these wrist warmers, let me know and I’ll be glad to help!

Similar Posts

105 Comments

1. Yin Yang says:

I love these and I am making a pair, but until they are finished I use old socks with the toes cut out. lol. Do you have a pattern with just small holes for the fingers?

• Rachel says:

Yin, Sorry I don’t have a pattern with small finger holes. But you can add small holes to the bottom of this pattern if you desire. To do so, you can make joins between each of the fingers.

2. Monica says:

Hello, I have just started learning to crochet and am making these. They look good so far, except for one thing. Each row seems to be getting progressively shorter. I know they have the same number of sc in each row, so I do not understand why this is happening. I assume it has something to do with the turn at the end-something must be going wrong there-any ideas?

3. Sue says:

Wonderful pattern, I made them a bit shorter and then added a fuzzy yarn cuff after I sewed up the side for the girls and they just loved them!!! thanks

4. koala says:

Hello, I w as wondering if the crochet ate going up and down the arm, ot around the arm. I am confused at that, and my crocheting is becoming shorter than the other even though its the same count. Help me please!!!!!!

5. koala says:

Thank you so much I was getting a bit confused!

6. Danielle says:

Thankyou for posting this. I can’t wait to try the pattern out. These look like they will be perfect for work! I am always taking my gloves off so now I may not have too!

7. Aaron says:

Does 200 yards make one wrist warmer or both?

8. Emily W says:

I am making these for my 3 year old niece. I did 30 sc across so they can fit her tiny arms :) Can’t wait to give them to her!

9. Joan says:

I really like these fingerless gloves, but I would like to make them knitted, thesee are the only ones i’ve seen that i like.
    Thanks
    Joni

• carol says:

they are just as easy! I was glad to see this crocheted version, however I have knit them for my daughters.. you’d need 1 skein of bulky yarn and #10 needles. Cast on 28 stiches and knit a row, perl a row until the piece is 6 to 7 inches long. bind off and sew up side seam, leaving open a thumb hole. this makes 2.

10. Cameo says:

Brilliant – just what I needed! Knocked out a pair in one evening, will be making more!

11. Phillis says:

I am making these for someone whose arm is larger at the end of the glove than at the wrist. Any easy way to make them larger at the part going up the arm than at the wrist. I have tried making more rows about an inch and a half below the thumb but can’t figure out how to sew them together and them still look right

• Rachel Choi says:

Hi Philis, the easiest way is to add more rows throughout. The stitch pattern makes a fairly stretchy fabric so it should be able to stretch where it needs to stretch while hugging the rest the arm.

12. paddywagon says:

This is the very first time on this site…..and I am sooo impressed. I have NEVER seen a site that is so friendly and not confusing on the instructions. If it says its for a beginner it really is. I wish I could find one for Quilting. I am a beginner quilter and when it says it’s for a beginner sometimes I really don’t understand the directions.
    Way to go. Keep up the good work

13. elizabeth says:

What I did to make the wrist a little tighter than the arm and hand was alternate a slip stitch and then a single crochet. After a couple of rows I placed the piece against my hand and marked where it would hit my wrist and marked with stitch markers I marked off 3 stitches. So as I go one direction I would do just a slip stitch and then as I came back I would the single crochet into the slip stitch and just keep alternating. I hope that makes sense and is helpful.

14. Becky says:

Thanks for this idea! I had been making my fingerless gloves in the round, but this looks SOOOO much easier. Thanks and happy yarning! :-)

15. Kat says:

I just made my first pair of these and it only took me 4 hours. And are they warm and fit snug.

Thanks so much for the pattern!

16. Debbie says:

Having a time with the thumb hole just hope and pray that i am doing it right. I am changing up one evrytime i start a new row and i just dont know , but i am only like on the second or third row. sure pray they turn out right. i will let you know.

17. Ashley McL. says:

Is it possible to make these shorter, like just past the wrist instead of halfway down the arm? If so, how would you go about adjusting the measurements?

• Rachel Choi says:

Hello! Yes, you can make them shorter. At the beginning of the pattern it states to “ch 41 or a chain that is the length of your desired wrist warmer”. So in your case you’ll probably want to chain less than 41. Make your chain as long as you want your wrist warmer to be. You can make a chain and hold it up to your arm to see if it goes just past your wrist.

18. ayesha says:

OMG!!! These are so cute.

19. Heather F says:

I’m currently making my first arm warmer in a soft Heather Grey. Figured I could pretend it’s fall outside with my Pumpkin Candle and this project lol. So far this is project is a blast! ♥ very easy instructions, thanks!

20. kelly says:

How do I make the holes for the thumbs?

• Rachel Choi says:

Hi Kelly, when you are done crocheting you’ll have a rectangle. To create the wrist warmers you’ll fold the rectangle in half and sew along the side. When you sew you’ll leave a hole for your thumb.

21. I love when it says “skill level: beginner” :)
    I am going to try these, thanks for the instructions!

22. Meg says:

Sorry. Bit of a silly question but I’m a beginner. When you want to stitch the ends together. Do you use the wool you’ve been using or just ordinary thread? And do you just sew between the loops or do you overlap the ends. If that makes sense. Thank you

23. Olga Caddock says:

Hello Rachel – great wrist-warmers. I want to make four pairs for my two sisters and their husbands. Can you tell me what the British equivalent yarn would be, please?