Free Crochet Pattern: Envelope

By Rachel Choi – 20 Comments
Here is a great beginner crochet pattern of a cute little envelope. You can use this envelope to package gifts or even use it as a change purse. This pattern is very simple to alter if you desire to make bigger or small envelopes. The basic idea is to crochet a perfect square. Then fold the square into the shape of an envelope and embellish it as you desire. Just follow the instructions below to get started!

Skill Level: beginner crochet skill level

Finished Size: 4 ¼” (11 cm) wide, 4 ¼” (11 cm) tall when closed
Note: To change the finished size of your envelope, follow the instructions within the pattern.

crochet envelope
Materials:
Medium Weight Yarn
Crochet Hook I (5.5 mm)
Yarn Needle
Scissors
crochet yarn size 4

Need help understanding the abbreviations? Check out the crochet abbreviation chart.

Crochet Pattern: Envelope
Start by chaining 20 or a chain that is the length of the diagonal (measuring from upper right to lower left hand corner) of the envelope desired
Row 1: ch 1, sc in second ch from hook and in each ch across: 20 sc
Row 2: ch 1, turn, sc in each sc across: 20 sc

Repeat row 2 twenty-three times or repeat until your work is the shape of a square, then finish off.

Fold three corners to the center of the square and sew envelope with a yarn needle. The heart used in the photo is a previous Crochet Spot pattern: Crochet Heart Fridgie

If you need help with crocheting an envelope, just leave a comment and I would be glad to help!

Similar Posts

20 Comments

1. Sharon says:

You are awesome! Thank you for sharing your patterns! I am so thrilled I chanced upon your site. =)

2. Alyssa says:

I love it, would make a great gift, my 4th wedding anniversary just passed, this would have been perfect. I’m making it later during nap time! =)

3. Jan says:

This is so cute! I think it would make a good tooth fairy envelope. I’ll have to get busy and make one for my granddaughter. She’s only just getting teeth, so there’s not a big hurry! Thanks for the pattern.

4. Emaline says:

Thanks for the cute pattern. I plan to make them for holding my Christmas money/gift card presents.

5. roberta hanlon says:

Rachel,
    Do you have any easy to crochet dog patterns. My dog, Maggie, is 41/2 pounds.
    thanks in advance from
    robereta

6. KimmiBeast says:

This is so cute!!!

7. [...] Envelope – Crocheting an envelope is just as simple as crocheting a square! You can use this crocheted envelop to hold a small gift or card. The crocheted envelop gives the perfect handmade touch to you gift. Here is the link to the pattern: Crochet Pattern: Envelope. [...]

8. Karen says:

I love this envelope and the red heart!!! Thank you so much!
    Karen

9. [...] Crochet Envelope. I normally use this for Valentine’s Day, but it works great for many occasions, including Mother’s Day. Instead of putting your “I love you Mom” note in a regular, boring, paper envelope, how about crocheting an envelope? It is super easy and fast to do. You can even embellish the envelope as you desire (I like to use a heart). Here’s the pattern: Crochet Pattern: Envelope [...]

10. collette says:

how would you keep this closed? I made it and love it…thankyou, collette

11. collette says:

I love this so much that i want to make it for all my granddaughters for Valentine’s day and Mother’s day and even just as a thank you gift but i would like to have a way to close it. Can you help me? thankyou, collette

12. [...] Did you just realize Mother’s Day is right around the corner? If so, you’re not alone because I just realized it too! Here are a few crochet patterns that are fairly quick to work up and would make great Mother’s Day gifts. Meaningful Note If you’re really, really crunched for time, then this simple heart envelope will probably be your quickest gift. Keep in mind that the most important part of this gift is what you put inside the envelope. Writing a meaningful note to put inside might take a little more time than crocheting the envelope. Here’s the link: Envelope Crochet Pattern [...]

13. NOURA says:

Hi,
    i am 13 years old and this would be a great idea! thanks for posting this:D

14. Rebecca says:

this is great! thanks for sharing the pattern. I’m actually just finishing it up right now. I am going to put a black border around it, sew the heart on and add a button to keep it closed!

15. Gina D says:

Thank you for sharing this. It is so adorable, I am hosting a baby shower and part of my daughter-in-laws gift… my sister bought thank you cards, my other sister bought the stamps for the thank you cards. At the shower we will have each guest address one to themselves and we will pick one of the envelopes for a prize. I am going to make this to send the filled out thank you cards/envelopes.

We are doing a Skype shower from Pittsburgh, pa to Lancaster, CA. My daughter-in-law is expecting twins in March. :-) … I can’t wait to get started.

Thanks again