Bringing Out the Crochet Designer in YouBy Claire Ortega – 9 Comments
Do you think of yourself as a crochet designer? No? Think again…Have you ever tweaked a pattern to suit your liking? Maybe you thought of a different handle for a bag you were crocheting, or finished an item all in one piece instead of sewing it together as written in the pattern.
If you had done something similar, you ARE a crochet designer. It doesn’t matter if you had designed an entire garment with spectacular fit, or just tweaked an existing pattern to fit your needs– either way, you thought of a new way to crochet something regardless of size or complexity. Here are a few tips to bring out the crochet designer within you:
- Own it. Acknowledge to yourself that you can design. Sometimes the only thing standing between you and your designer counterpart, is yourself.
- Approach crochet projects methodically. Remember those experiments in school? For each one, a problem had to be solved in a logical manner. Prove your hypothesis to make a successful conclusion.
- Take notes. When you think of a possible design, always note it down before it goes away–write it on your design notebook, or take note of it in your phone or other gadget.
- Be inspired by others. Beautiful crochet work and limitless inspiration abound–don’t be scared to take old ideas to create something new.
- Don’t stop learning. You may think you have everything down to pat, but crochet is such a vast craft. New stitches and methods are invented virtually every day! Whenever you get an opportunity to learn something new, always take full advantage of it.
- Share. It’s always good to do so, specially in pattern writing. Something you write may be perfectly sensible to you, but seem vague to others. It’s always good to learn how others read your designs, so you know where you need improvement.
- Never give up. Every problem has a solution. Never lose hope–you WILL get it. Of course, frogging also counts as a solution. IF all else fails.
I hope that helps let loose the crochet designer inside you! Happy crafting (and designing, wink wink).